Melissa C. Karrh, MSN, CRNP, PMHNP-BC, grew up in Cullman, Alabama. She attended Wallace State Community College and obtained her Associates Degree in Nursing. For the next 12 years, Melissa worked in a diverse array of medical settings and roles, including neurosurgery ICUs, pediatrics and adult oncology, home health care, nursing homes, a wide range of medical-surgical units, hospital pharmacy and nurse supervisory roles. As such, Melissa brings a rich background in general medicine to her practice as a psychiatric nurse practitioner. For the last 20 years, Melissa worked solely in psychiatric settings. She worked on child/adolescent, adult and geriatric psychiatry units, advancing to the roles of Shift Leader and Charge Nurse.
Melissa completed her Bachelor and Master of Science in Nursing degrees at UAB. Shen Then completed the requirements for Board Certification as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. Her training has encompassed all ages (child, adolescent, adult and geriatric) as has her work experience. Since that time, she has worked for Integrated Behavioral Health, which covers multiple inpatient, outpatient, assisted living and skilled assisted living facilities across North Alabama.
Melissa is married and has two grown children. Her hobbies include gardening, hobby farming, horses, collecting cookie jars and kerosene oil lamps, and traveling.
Melissa treats children, adolescents, adults and geriatric clients. She provides psychiatric evaluation, consultation, and psychotropic medication management.
Ms. Karrh treats the following symptoms and diseases:
- Mood Disorders: Depression, Anxiety, Panic Attacks, OCD, PTSD, Anger/Rage, Mood Swings, Bipolar Disorder, Cyclothymia, PMDD (Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder), plus any other DSM-V listed mood disorder
- AD/HD across the lifespan
- Impulse Control Disorders: Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Eating Disorders, Compulsive/Habit Behaviors, Lack of Behavioral Self-Control, Addiction Recovery (provided the client has been through primary addiction therapy and is maintaining aftercare/doing recovery work; in other words, Pitts & Associates is not a primary addiction treatment center).
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders: Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Paranoid Disorder
- Any other DSM-V listed diagnosis
Ms. Karrh is a prescriber; she operates with the supervision of a psychiatrist.