Dr. Caroline Baker grew up in Vestavia Hills and attended Vestavia Hills High School and Birmingham-Southern College. She earned her Master’s Degree in Human Development Counseling from Vanderbilt University, and Ph.D. in Educational Psychology from The University of Mississippi. While working on her doctorate at Ole Miss, she served as the counselor for international students.
Upon completion of training and licensure in 1995, Dr. Baker worked for Gateway Family Counseling in Birmingham, providing both therapy and diagnostic testing with at-risk youth and their families. In 2011, she left non-profit work to become a therapist for Alabama Psychiatric Services (APS), where she worked with children, adolescents, and adults.
Dr. Baker is certified in EMDR (Level 2). She is on the Adjunct Clinical Faculty of Samford University, having thus far taught classes over several semesters in both Death and Dying and Research Techniques.
Dr. Baker provides the following services:
- Individual therapy for children, adolescents, and adults
- Play therapy for children to teach anger control skills, coping skills, and impulse-control skills
- Parenting consultation and strategies
- AD/HD evaluation and treatment consultation
- Educational Testing for Learning Disorders
- Diagnostic testing (including personality evaluation)
Dr. Baker sees clients with the following issues and symptoms:
- Desire for Personal Growth
- Lack of Life Satisfaction
- Difficulties Adjusting to Changes, Losses, Stress
- Mood Disorders (Sadness, Depression, Anxiety, Panic, Anger, Rage)
- Behavior Problems (Lack of Self-Control, Impulsivity, Aggression)
- Lack of Relationship Skills, Social Immaturity, Isolation
- Learning or Academic Problems
- AD/HD, with or without Hyperactivity, Across the Lifespan
- Maladaptive Personality Traits
- Dealing with Trauma, Abuse